Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Seeds for Peace

Last week I went to speak with a group of school children in Winchester, near Ottawa. I had to talk with the students about peace. All was well except that the audiences were between the ages of 3 and 12, so extremely tough crowd.

The students were exploring the concept of peace as part of an amazingly innovative project called Seeds of Peace, which intends to sow seeds of peace in young minds. The students listened to representatives from Yemen, Iran, USA, South Africa and myself from Afghanistan. Later I taught students how to write peace in Dari and Pashto. Later students drew on and wrote messages of peace on envelops filled with sunflower seeds and gave them to me so I can send it to Afghanistan where school children could sow it in their schools.

Such beautiful way of teaching something essential to children and what a good time to start.

I will update you on the seeds' travel to Afghanistan.

No comments: